Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Medusa

777K views 4K replies 175 participants last post by  ivanhoew 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi chaps ,

new endeavour/disaster...

happy to run a thread if its of interest?

regards

robert

See less See more
#7 ·
oh ,alright then , if you insist :D

so my train of thought went thusly ,bit bored of minis ,had a very nasty experience with a 1960 barn mini i bought and restored then found out wasnt owned by who i bought it off.so thought , what would i find really fun to drive ,not super fast like the tvr ,or my mini but just plain good old fashioned fun.

and i thought hmm ,an old open wheel type 1940's race car on the rd would be fun ,big rope steering wheel and so on .

then i found a 95 taxi down the magic scrap yard ,where if you remember i got my flow fan . so a bit of negociation and i got the chassis and the reg docs . so in about minus 10 i went down, and in a day took off the body ,and my good friend big john towed it ...on a trailer.... up to my place 25 miles away .

so now to engines ,hmm ,well , these jag 24 v straight 6 engines ,with ally block , are very cheap ,and seem to last a long time ,so i got a couple of those , i had one in my garden for about 5 years so that gave me 2 to use and one spare .

now i am trying to create a straight 12 from the 2 engines , coupling them with a rubber donut out of a prop ,after a lot of research to see if thats feasable ....finding a twin engined rod with one in between 2 500 bhp sbc was encouraging !

the idea is to make a remote flywheel clutch gearbox assembly behind the crossmember too ,but like a alfa romeo alfetta/75/gtv from the 80's.

i will bung up some more pics this evo if you want ?

projected power is 250 for the back engine ,and 225 for the front ,and thats as they are in normal form ,with a long snakey exhaust and 12 bellmounths it may be more . so far the thing weighs in at 500kg chassis and 165 kg per engine ,so it may come in at under a ton . ooof ,on old 7.5 16 tyres i think it will be a traction nightmare !! :twisted:

its called medusa for all the pipes etc , and i want to get veronica to paint me a ww2 girl on the side with snakey hair. on the number plate it will say ''TWINS BASIL""

regards
robert

#8 · (Edited)
here I was in -4 taking off the body , very easy really ,just loads of big bolts ..

I weighed it on their bridge ,and it was around 500kg rolling chassis ,outriggers and exhaust had to come off so at the moment it stands at around 460 to 480 kg .

I must keep it unmodded so I keep my dvla points , thanks a huge amount to KAPRI for his tolerant advice in this.

Robert :)

#12 ·
You have a piece of steel as a moustache, a glassless greenhouse as a shed, and a totally whacky idea. I am looking forward to this thread.

#13 ·
thank you very much for the enthusiastic response , makes a big difference for those of us working away on our own ...in the dark...with the worms !!! ;-)

so first thing was to get a bit of weight off it ,and remove unnecessary parts ..

20 to 30 kg off ,,,nice .

#18 ·
so, having got the chassis home ,

after drowning my towing buddy with lpg fumes, due to the coilpack on my astra dropping 2 cylinders ,and him following me home for 25 miles breating my unburnt lpg..

it was time to gather some engines together.

I had in storage a xj running gear for about 5 years , so manhandled that engine out of here ..

then found another engine ,a lighter later one , down the yard ,and hoicked that out of the car it was in and hoofed it home in the stingray.

then weighed the heavier one , not too bad !

theo investigated the work..

lining them up..

so 2 times 165 odd , plus thin pipe zorsts and inlet ,may not be too nose heavy ..time will tell.

Robert :)

#22 · (Edited)
hi ian yes I considered one of those , but decided to use a jurid coupling due to its vibration damping and flexibility .they can also take much more torque than I can make .

anyrdup..

so,,

the first mistake I made was to try to fit the crank line in with the chassis crossmember hole ...

firstly I cleaned and thinned the back of the rear engine

then flopped about with the engines trying to get them to fit ..

er ...that'll be a NO then ...

so next I realised I would have to run the engines horizontal , and take the power shaft out above the x member ,and also I really needed to get on with the link from one engine to the next , to see how compact I could make it ,and what sort of technology I needed to gen up on to make it all.so that's the next step after this experiment.

robert:)

#23 · (Edited)
so a little bit more progress to show you !

decided to use a thick hunk of metal , and make a taper lock hub ,with a super grippy 1.5 degree taper ,to grip the crank on the back engine ...eg..

started with a flame cut hunk of steel,

and made my roughed out hub on my 1963 lathe of playfulness..

then ,to make the taper collety thing I used a tough mini primary gear..

ending up with this ,

then got a bit of nice 1/2 inch plate to make the crank plate for the front engine...

and how they will sit with the jurid donut..

having this will allow me to get mounty wiv the engines and see how they sit ...hurrah!

#24 · (Edited)
and ,,, this is how it looks in situ...

I still have to clearance the bolt heads on the flanges to give a little more space to close the two engines up about an inch .this will give me clearance at the front for the pulley.

then my inner 12 year old gained ascendance and I got silver spray mental with it to see how the pattern on the blocks would show once it all cleaned properly and painted ..

NOICE!

next to work on the remote gearbox design , I am using a mt75 transit box ,since they are cheaply available , take around 220lb/ft + and will probably not have to cope with that since I wont have a lot of grip.:shocked:

regards
robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.