Rods 'n' Sods banner

21 - 40 of 3535 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
hi ian yes I considered one of those , but decided to use a jurid coupling due to its vibration damping and flexibility .they can also take much more torque than I can make .

anyrdup..

so,,

the first mistake I made was to try to fit the crank line in with the chassis crossmember hole ...

firstly I cleaned and thinned the back of the rear engine

then flopped about with the engines trying to get them to fit ..

er ...that'll be a NO then ...

so next I realised I would have to run the engines horizontal , and take the power shaft out above the x member ,and also I really needed to get on with the link from one engine to the next , to see how compact I could make it ,and what sort of technology I needed to gen up on to make it all.so that's the next step after this experiment.

robert:)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
so a little bit more progress to show you !

decided to use a thick hunk of metal , and make a taper lock hub ,with a super grippy 1.5 degree taper ,to grip the crank on the back engine ...eg..

started with a flame cut hunk of steel,

and made my roughed out hub on my 1963 lathe of playfulness..

then ,to make the taper collety thing I used a tough mini primary gear..

ending up with this ,

then got a bit of nice 1/2 inch plate to make the crank plate for the front engine...

and how they will sit with the jurid donut..

having this will allow me to get mounty wiv the engines and see how they sit ...hurrah!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
and ,,, this is how it looks in situ...

I still have to clearance the bolt heads on the flanges to give a little more space to close the two engines up about an inch .this will give me clearance at the front for the pulley.

then my inner 12 year old gained ascendance and I got silver spray mental with it to see how the pattern on the blocks would show once it all cleaned properly and painted ..

NOICE!

next to work on the remote gearbox design , I am using a mt75 transit box ,since they are cheaply available , take around 220lb/ft + and will probably not have to cope with that since I wont have a lot of grip.:shocked:

regards
robert

·
Lurking Loon
96 Posts
Yup, completely and utterly bonkers! Good work! :tup:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Question time ;) the gubbo you are using, whats it off, it looks quite compact, and in the realms of size that will suit my project,

·
Registered
9 Posts
i may not understand this fully
but I'm loving it and can't wait to see more and see how you get it all paned out and see how you work around stuff
good luck

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
So I'm not the only one daft enough to use a taxi chassis...
Good to see it!
BTW what happened to the body of the taxi, I wouldnt have minded that roof especially if it doesnt have a sunroof.

Keep the pictures coming please

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
i think they are keeping the rest of it ian ,and no your not the only one re the taxi chassis.. , it looks a very strong bit of kit ,and easy to use .i think i will have to take a leaf out of the rear and get some new springs for the front to soften it up a bit other wise its got springing for ,what, 2.4 tons max payload? ,and mine will weigh only 1 ton i hope ,so might be a bit of a rigid rattler.

robert

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
on holiday a while ago so made this 1/10th scale model to see how it all fits .

including a mr cork head Robert scale model

looks like it may all fit in ok doke ,bodywork still a work in progress , I would like it to be more curvacious ,

but not being a master panel beater , who stares hard at a bit of sheet metal until it shapes itself into a bow tie , then turns his back on it ,and while drinking his tea raises one hand twitches his fingers and the metal does another impossible fold , I will prob make it out of fibreglass over a mold made of toothpicks and wrapping paper .

I do have this grill

to help with lines etc love its deco-nessnosity.oh yes .

robert

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
loving this build.cool grill is it an old Daimler grill . only guessing due to the ribs on the grill shell

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
That's as mad as a bag of frogs, I love it :tup: and some great engineering going on too

21 - 40 of 3535 Posts