Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Agent Thor - Tribute

48K views 457 replies 39 participants last post by  Martin Harris 
#1 ·
Agent Thor - Tribute

Building a 'Tribute' to one of my favourite Ed Roth cars, the Road Agent.
This is going to be my take on the original car, not a copy or clone.

Based on a 1971 Beetle and going via the Rebody/RAV route.
Stock: engine, box, chassis, trans, axles & suspension & body will be bolted to the stock/LWB chassis/floor pan.

Started mid-February, up until now, standard teardown and rust repair stuff, but starting to really start the actual build now, plus finally sorted out my RnS password!
Body will be 'traditional' plaster spit-wads.
Already have two domes, one clear & one fluorescent green one.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Often thought you could quite easily build the Globehopper on a Reliant three-wheeler Chassis.

I've got Ed Roth DVD of the Globhopper build, if your interested?

#11 ·
Nothing, apart from create the link to the friction arm.
Which is 'almost' the same as the original car, where the coil springs were upside-down and working in tension.

Attachments

#15 ·
Colin,
I was looking through Ed “Big Daddy” Roth, his life, times, cars and art, and Hot Rods by Ed Roth, and Road Agent does look like there’s something missing from the build. It’s the engine! He did this with the Orbitron as well at least with Thor Agent there is chance to fill the space under the rear end with something other than just the exhaust pipes :)
I’m still liking the idea of a Globe Hopper II, but oh a Surfite (original 1961 sketch) based on a Smart Car……

Chaley

#24 ·
The madness has started!!!!
With the wheelbase of the beetle being the same as the original car, the top should be 1200mm diameter, so that's what I got.
But looking at it I will change mine to 1100mm and only 450mm high, so not a full hemisphere.
Cut out the front panel and ordered probably too much vermiculite!! its not an exact science.

Attachments

#30 ·
Still playing with the mix, trying to see how this madness works!!
Got to move that fridge out of the garage at the weekend, need more space.
Run out of plaster now, so need to pick up a couple of bags on the way how from work.

Darn its quite a messy exercise!!
Going to cover the floor with a tarp.

Also going to trial fit the bubble at the weekend.

Attachments

#32 ·
That was most of a bag of multi I had leftover from doing the kitchen.
Agreed, will change to bonding, seams to have that extra 'bulk' factor.

But was thinking about using Thistle One Coat for the finishing layer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.